BULGARIA HAS POTENTIAL TO BECOME A REGIONAL LEADER IN THE ONLINE GAMING
Bulgaria has a serious potential to become a leader in the online gaming industry in Central and Eastern Europe. This opinion was shared by leading experts and representative of international organization at the Eastern European Gaming Summit (EEGS), which was held in Sofia between 20 and 21 October.
The 7th edition of the forum was opened by the chairman of Bulgarian Trade Association of Manufacturers and Operators in the Gaming Industry (BTAMOGI) Angel Iribozov and the chairman of the Bulgaria's State Commission on Gambling Ognemir Mitev. In his opening remarks Angel Iribozov pointed out that the aim of the association had been not only to follow the last tends, but also to set the agenda and provoke debates on the future of the sector. According to Ognemir Mitev, the conference was a great opportunity to exchange information and practice on the manufacturing, operating and regulations of gaming business.
Harrie Temmink, Deputy Head of Unit Online and Postal Services, European Commission, provided a synopsis of the activities of the Commission for unification of national standards in the gambling industry. He appealed to national governments to consult with Brussels before adopting gambling laws.
Speakers at the panel on online gaming in Bulgaria pointed out that Bulgaria's regulations could serve as an example for many other countries, creating prerequisites to become a leader in the online gaming across the region. According to Konrad Gill, director iGaming of the Bulgarian manufacturer of gaming equipment and content Casino Technology, the main challenge is to restrict unlicensed online operators, and in the same time to not place unnecessary restrictions on licensed companies.
Conference program included a wide range of topics such as European standards and regulatory frames in the gaming industry, social and mobile gaming, gambling market and tourism, the future of the poker and lotteries, responsible gambling, etc.
Highlights of EEGS 2014
- More than 300 representatives from over 20 countries attended the event - 30% more than the previous year;
- Around 50 top gaming experts from over 20 jurisdictions participated as speakers;
- More than 250 Bulgarian operators participated at discussions;
- Topics were focused on the evolving standarts in the gaming sectors in Bulgaria and Europe in the light of the introduction of new online betting technologies, challenges, and cooperation between institutions in accordance with EU guidelines;
- The second day of the forum was devoted to various topics such as gaming and tourism marketing, lotteries, poker, relationship between land-based and online casinos, latest news from Central Asian market, and measures for responsible gambling;
- The 7th edition marked the launch of a new panel organized together with the American Gaming Association - Global Gaming Woman Networking Panel;
- Honorary partners of the event were international gaming institutions such as IMGL, AGEM, RGA, IAGA, IAGR, GREF, ESSA;
- As co-event, Balkan Entertainment and Gaming Expo (BEGE Expo) brought together leading manufacturers, suppliers, operators and representatives of related industries;
- Traditionally, an open discussion of casino operators with Bulgarian State Commission on Gambling took place in the second day of BEGE Expo.
- Presentations of speakers from the 7th edition:http://eegamingsummit.com/content/presentation-2014